Verb Surgical is a robotics platform that enables surgeons to perform a range of surgeries. In order to perform surgeries using the Verb Digital Surgery platform new surgeons and their support staff must go through a detailed learning path. The goal of this project is to design a digital experience that reinforces the benefits of the Verb Digital Surgery platform, and introduces learners to the education experience through a personalized plan.
Sample illustration showing a surgeon using the surgeon bridge (on the left). The bridge enables the surgeon to control the robotic arms to perform the operation.
The learning path today
In order to become proficient in using the Verb Digital Surgery platform, surgeons and their OR staff must go through a series of exercises across the following learning channels:
- VR Simulator: a VR experience that teaches the OR staff how to support the surgeon during surgery.
- Bridge Simulator: the bridge simulator teaches surgeons the capabilities of the robot through a series of simulated exercises.
- Mobile Simulator: a desktop app that teaches surgeons how to use the UIDs (User Input Devices) and helps them develop psychomotor skills.
- UIDs: the User Input Devices function as a computer mouse to the surgeon bridge that enable surgeons to control the arms of the robot.
- Mobile Learning: a web portal that teaches surgeons the fundamental cognitive understanding of the Verb Digital Surgery platform through a series of rich media lessons and tests.
The problem is that there is no central hub where by learners can asses their progress across all the learning channels.
Framing the problem
Who has this problem?
The users are surgeons and their support staff (surgical tech, circulation nurse, sterilization tech, hospital administration and (robotic coordinator).
Why is the problem worth solving?
Improving the learning curve of the users.
What is the nature of the problem?
For the users to quickly understand and track how they are progressing across the various learning channels.
Where does this problem happen?
Primarily for new users looking to learn how to use the Verb platform.
Design a digital experience that provides surgeons and their support staff a holistic picture of their learning path across various learning channels, thereby improving their learning curve.